Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Cassandra Carr

The worst writing mistake I ever made
By Cassandra Carr


Every writer makes mistakes, especially when they’re first starting out. What was my worst mistake? Writing a heroine I didn’t like. I had an interesting concept, which I won’t go into here, but let’s just say the heroine really should’ve been a strong woman, considering her occupation. But was she strong? Not the way I wrote her at first.

In fact, she was a weak, whiny little complainer. A woe-is-me’er. And I can’t stand people like that!

So why did I write her that way?

Because I thought that’s how you had to write a character in conflict, and that couldn’t be farther from the truth. Characters in conflict can be incredibly strong people, like the hero in my upcoming book, Caught. Jack is a college professor who also happens to be a rough, edgy Dominant. There’s nothing weak about him, and yet he’s incredibly conflicted.

I bet you’re wondering if I fixed her, aren’t you? Well, I did. But I still haven’t sold that book. It was my first novel, and it’s riddled with other problems, many of which I could probably fix if I had the time or inclination. I don’t have either at the moment, so it languishes on the shelf. Maybe I’ll go back to it someday, or maybe I won’t. But I do know one thing – I’ll never write another sniveling heroine!

What are some of your pet peeves about heroines in romance novels?

No comments: