Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Lori Toland

The importance of grandmothers…

In all the time I’ve been reading, I’ve noticed many of my favorite authors always have something they are known for. Whether it’s a theme or characteristic of their heroes or heroines, there is always one fine detail that sneaks in as their signature. It’s an element that keeps readers coming back for more.

My signature is to have heroes with strong grandmothers. Well, cats appearing somewhere in the story is a must as well, but grandmothers always sneak in, whether I want it to or not. Grandmothers are treasures. They are a link to a part of ourselves we will never know. And they will always cherish us, because we are their legacy.

A lady I knew where I worked told me how she felt about her grandkids, “Imagine how you feel toward your child. You give them all the love in the world and then they have children. You feel all the love you’ve had for your child times ten toward the grandchild.” So I said, “You have seven children, dear. You must have a lot of love then.” She laughed. And she does have a lot of love to give.

In Trust In Me, Tristan has to miss his grandmother’s eightieth birthday party when works calls. His grandmother isn’t too bothered, because he promises to come down the next week to spend a few days with her. She thinks that’s fine because she won’t have to share him with everyone attending her party. Tristan’s grandmother reminds me of my grandmother so I hope you enjoy her as much as I enjoyed writing her.

4 comments:

Kele Moon said...

:D I love that your stories always have awesome grandmothers!! And Landfall has a grandmother-ish character in the patient he's seeing!! Y

:D

Kele

Amara Devonte said...

*waves* Hi Lori. :D

I'm just swinging by to say howdy. Soooo... Howdy :D :D

Hope you had a good weekend darlin'!

chrysalis1975 said...

I sure do miss my grandmothers, and I always enjoy stories that have feisty grandmothers in them, as mine were when they were alive.

*waving* Hi Lori :) I hope you're having an awesome day!!

Tame (chrysalis1975)

Lori Toland said...

Hi Amara! :) I had a great weekend. I just played around, doing nothing. :)

Hi Tame! Good to see you around again, dear! :) And strong women in our lives have shaped us into who we are today :)

And hey Kele ;)