Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Coreopsis

Reading is my most favorite thing in the world besides being a mother. I love to read and given the opportunity to read as many books as I want and at no cost to me was like hitting the lottery for me. I’ve always enjoying reading and to me reading a good book is a lot more entertaining than watching TV.

I have four kids so for a while I got away from reading as much as I would have liked to. About four years ago, I went to the library with my oldest child. While walking around I discovered a book by Dakota Cassidy called The Accidental Werewolf. I read the blurb and thought it sounded good. Reading that one book got me back on track for reading and every since then my collection of books has grown like crazy. Let me tell you when my husband introduced me to eBooks I was in hog heaven. To think you can by a book and read it without having to leave your own home. All I can say is paradise.

I started reviewing for The Long and Short of It website around the end of this past January. Right now I just review for the WC section of the website. I’m a sucker for a romantic erotic love story. They keep you entertained until the very end. My view on love stories-- they are great without love scenes but if an author can draw the perfect picture of the love being shared between characters it’s beautiful and adds to the story. Let’s face it, we as people have busy lives. Be it kids, work, school, or anything and sometimes you just want to relax and get lost in someone else’s life. For me reading allows me that privilege.

When I pick a book to review I go by what the blurb says. I follow certain authors and know when they have a book coming out and wait for it to come up for review and try to snag it. But a lot of times I just read the blurb and see if it sparks my attention. I feel as a reviewer it’s kind of my job to be fair. I hate when I read a review that is nothing but negativity. I totally get that we're not going to like every book we read but just because I didn’t like it doesn’t mean someone else won't love it. The ladies at the LASR/WC are really good about this issue. If the book is something that may not interest us we can send it back and give someone else the opportunity to read and review it. It’s only fair to the author, different strokes for different folks so to speak. I have yet to send a book back. Now in saying that, I haven’t fallen love with every book I’ve read. I think every book deserves a fair shake when getting reviewed so I do my best to do just that.

In my everyday life no one would ever guess that I’m a hopeless romantic. I love a good love story that has humor mixed in. I like to laugh and cry and if a book has me doing both the author has done their job by my standards. As of lately my favorite authors are: Joyee Flynn, Dakota Cassidy, Stephanie Hecht, Gale Stanley, and, of course, Charlaine Harris. There are a ton more that I love; like I said, I haven’t met a book I didn’t like. If I could read nonstop I probably would, but being the mother of four kids limits my time in that area. I’m grateful to have an understanding husband who gets that reading is my thing. I’m also grateful that I stumbled upon a fabulous website that allows me to read and review some really great books.



2 comments:

Stormy said...

I agree, reading totally negative and snarky reviews doesn't necessarily turn me off of a book but it would affect whether or not I frequented a particular review site again. I try to take multiple reviews into account. Afterall, they're only one person's opinion.

Na said...

I can see what you mean, if I had all the time in the world and could read any and as many books as I want that would be like hitting the lottery. When I choose a book to read, I also go by the blurb even though the cover is the first thing that catches my attention.