Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Kaily Hart

If I wasn’t a writer, I’d be…


An interior designer/decorator! Yeah, I was pretty surprised at this realization myself. I’ve already had one successful career in the IT consulting industry and working on my second with my writing. When I renovated my ENTIRE house a few years ago, it was a major undertaking.

This is actually a before picture of my living room and kitchen, totally gutted back to the bare bones! *shudder*

I was excited, apprehensive, and okay a tiny bit terrified. Or perhaps it was a LOT. I designed every aspect of the renovation which ranged from some structural changes to a lot of cosmetic things. I updated/upgraded EVERY SINGLE room in the house. Actually the outside underwent some pretty substantial changes as well. I selected every fixture, fitting, color and finish. I designed every tile layout. I picked the design for each molding and trim we used. I even designed the layout of the kitchen myself from a completely blank slate. I worked with the guys every day on each step of the process and you know what I found? I absolutely LOVED everything about it. I learned I love looking at furnishings catalogs, tile books, paint chips, architectural accents. I loved everything about the process, especially the sense of immense satisfaction I get when I can sit back in any room of my house and think… I did that. So, if I wasn’t a writer I’d definitely be in the design/decorating/home improvement industry.

What about YOU? What do you think you’d be doing if you could choose?

10 comments:

Ju Dimello said...

Hi Kaily! I was eagerly awaiting to see the "finished" room at the end of the post ;) LOL!

What would I chose to be...umm..real real tough. I think I'll go for being a teacher or a librarian ;) Not creative, I know ;) but it allows me to interact with books..LOL..and moreover haven't we read that it's always the teacher or the librarian who gets smack into undercover covert operations by the hero? :insert rubbing hands in anticipation here:

Ingeborg said...

It must feel great when it's all finished. I'm sure it looks lovely.

Kaily Hart said...

Ju, I'll have to see if I can rustle it up! I may have to actually clean first LOL. I've always love the idea of being a librarian too :).

Ingeborg, I like it anyway!

Stacie said...

That is an easy question: I would own my own book store. I think that would be a fun job. I know it wouldn't be easy but it would be satisfying.

Congrats on such a huge undertaking. I like to decorate but I've never started from scratch.

user1123 AT comcast DOT net

Kaily Hart said...

Thanks, Stacie it was pretty huge. I was also working and pregnant throughout, so that made it interesting!! I love the whole idea of a bookstore as well. That's be great!

Gabby said...

Wow, it's amazing that you found the time and ambition to do all that! I bet the rooms look great!

What would I want to be if I can choose?

That's kind of hard to answer, at the moment I'm bound and determined to become paranormal romance author.

When I was a little younger though, I wanted to be a veterinarian because I love animals and have always wanted to work with them in a professional setting.

I've also been trying to figure out how to be able to become an animal cop, because I always watch the shows on tv. and thought it wouldn't be a bad job.

kakuchouakisame_19(at)yahoo(dot)com

Cathy M said...

Oh lordy, Kaily. My hubby started our kitchen remodel three years ago, and I am still walking on cement floors, looking at unpainted walls, and missing a dishwasher, lol.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com

chey said...

I'd work in medical research.

Maureen said...

That must have been so exciting to redo you whole house. I would love to do that to our house but that's not in the cards right now. If I had the talent I would love to be a professional photographer, it's amazing what people can capture in a photo.
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

Kaily Hart said...

Gabby, I used to want to be a vet as well. Good luck with your writing!!

Oh, Cathy no! I thought going 9 weeks without a fully working kitchen was hard LOL!

Chey, that would be really interesting :).

Maureen, I loved it. I also enjoy photography.