Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Lisa Sanchez

Bad Boy or Prince Charming?


I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: I’m all about bad boys. In literature, that is. I married a prince (waves hi to my honey in case he’s reading this. I love you!), and am currently living my happily ever after. So, what it is about bad boys in books that gets my panties all tied up in knots? Let’s explore.

Bad boys want to be redeemed: Often times, but not always, beneath his stony, tough guy exterior, our bad boy is secretly hurting. Fates dealt him a shitty hand, and as a result, he’s made some less than stellar choices. All he needs is the love of a good woman to set him on the straight an narrow, and man-oh-man, when he makes the switch, is he ever determined. I love, love, love it when a super alpha male shows his softer side with the woman he loves. My favorite heroes are those that can kick ass in the early evening, and then ravish their ladylove with tenderness and vulnerability. Swoon!

Bad boys wear some wicked cool armor: I’m a big fan of tatted heroes. The following doesn’t hold true for all bad boys, but I think a good portion of the time they wear their inner pain and torment on their skin. Their tattoos, piercings etc. essentially serve as a shield, protecting them from the possibility of further hurt from the outside world. Nick, the hero in my erotic suspense, Obsessed, sports a large tattoo over his shoulder, chest and back, nipple rings and gauges. He’s endured a great loss, and uses body modification as a means to express his pain while at the same time, holding others at arms length.

What about you? Are you a fan of bad boys? Do you enjoy your heroes with a bit of bite, or do you prefer the Prince Charming type? Weigh in with a comment, and let’s get a discussion rolling!

13 comments:

The MadDabbler said...

Hey Lisa! I have a weird take on it. My preference is dictated by the storyline. I like most of my stories to have bad boys who want to be redeemed. But I also like to see them fight it a bit. They know they want to be good, but they just aren't sure they deserve it.

I also have a thing for an alphas, but not always traditional alphas. I like a good guy with a dark side. Someone who is pulled toward darkness and you know it's there, lurking, and he has dark moments.

Thanks for a great post!
Denise

Lisa said...

Denise- Oooh! I'm with you on Alphas with a dark side. Yum!! Thanks for stopping by!!

Debra Anastasia said...

Hey Lisa!

What a great topic. Maybe we like to read about the bad boys because we want to believe that love can fix everyone and everything. At least that is what I'm hoping for when I read. I totally think it is adorable that your husband read this for you. I guess our predictable, thoughtful men are rock stars in real life, being man enough to give a lady a happy ending.

Great thought provoking topic.

~Debra

Amanda said...

I am with Denise on this one. I like heroes best when they fit the story and their love interest. My personal taste on a lot of issues is usually swept aside after I get involved with the story.

Amanda

Lisa said...

Thanks, Debra! I agree with you. When I'm reading, I also want to think that the love between the leading couple will conquer all :)

Amanda- Yes! If the story is great, my personal preferences are also usually swept aside :) Thanks for commenting!

CarolOates said...

I think I lean toward bad boys in reading and nice guys in real life, although the odd bad boy has been known to catch my eye.

Nicki Elson said...

I like that you get into the background of what makes the bad boy bad. And I LOVE the idea of a girl having the power to turn that guy around. I guess what I'm saying is...bring on the bad boys (with a hidden, mushy center)!

Killian McRae said...

I love stories of redemption, and in books the bad boy, if not a villain, is almost always bad so that this transformation can occur. In real life, of course, any woman who goes for the "bad boy" thinking her love can change him is deluding herself. But in books, yes, right on, my sistah'.

Trisha Wolfe said...

Oh yes, I'm all about the bad boys ;) And it's so true about most of them wanting to be redeemed. I don't think I could fall for a truly evil character, they have to have that right amount. Great post!

Jennifer Lane said...

Lisa, I agree with you about the tattoos and other body markings/piercings reflecting one's inner pain. Of course tattoos don't always indicate past abuse or trauma, but I've seen my fair share where that's the case. I like romantic heroes with a lot of integrity who find themselves in a bad position--not bad boys per se, but bad behavior because of unforseen circumstances. I'll all about a character redeeming himself--makes for great reading.

Lisa said...

Glad to see I'm not the only girl who likes a bad boy :D Thanks for commenting, ladies!!

Hannah Downing said...

Hi Lisa,

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a sucker for bad boys, but I also swoon with romance so I'm caught in the struggle myself hahaha

Hannah xx

H.C. Brown said...

I like my Alphas to be badass but with an intriguing vulnerability.

Loved your post :-)