Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Mary Abshire

Will bookstores disappear?

My husband and I were talking about this today. He's a music collector. In the last year, many music stores shut down. Now we only have one music store in the entire city, not counting the "used" stores. During the 1980's, we had multiple music stores on our side of town. Now, we have none. Incredible how technology has affected the music industry, and collectors.

The wave of the future is downloading. I believe we are seeing the same situation with the book industry. We had (past tense) a Borders and it shut down. We have one "new" store now, Barnes & Noble, but I have to wonder how long it will survive. Electronic downloads of books have more than doubled in the last year. We still have "used" stores. Will they survive this change? I think they will. Just like the music industry will always have collectors, so will the reading industry. People will still prefer a book versus an electronic version. But one day in the future, say twenty years from now, will the "used" stores still be in business? That is a good question and I don't have the ability to see into the future. If you look at the music industry twenty years ago compared to today, yes, we still have "used" stores and people purchasing music on the Internet. So, if the reading industry follows, then those stores will still be around.

What do you think? Twenty years from now, will we still have "used" stores for books and music? Will people, a few, still want the hand held version, versus electronic?

1 comment:

Becky said...

I keep wondering the same thing myself about the bookstores. I hope we still have some around in twenty years, since I still like to hold the book in my hand instead of having it in electronic form.