Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Eliza March/Elizabeth Marchat

Author, Elizabeth Marchat
My process of writing a novel - Part 1


The Anticipation


At first I thought sitting down and writing a novel would be easy; I’d written thesis papers, newspaper articles, advertising copy, and newsletters. I’d even written poetry and short stories. Everything BF (before fiction) had been a breeze for me to undertake. Until the day I decided to sit down and try writing the story in my head, I never even thought there were rules to the genre I was writing.

After I wrote the plot line to my story, something seemed to be missing. Detail? Maybe. So I added the details. Where were the characters? What was it like? How did they get there? Why were they doing what they were doing? And HOW? There wasn’t much I didn’t know about my characters and I liked them. I’d read thousands of romance novels, action books, mysteries, etc. in preparation. How hard could writing a novel be?

Well, let me tell you, it’s hard and certainly not as easy as reading one. It’s complicated and takes “ahelluvalot” longer, too. I went to a conference and found out my word count should be at about 90,000 words. When my husband asked me how I was going to manage writing something that long, I responded, “Adverbs and adjectives!”

Now that I’ve stopped adding adjectives and adverbs, learned how to show my story, not tell it, and conquered the delete key, I find I’m still learning. Part 2 - Cont’d tomorrow

Ever since I could read, the written word has captivated me. I’ve worked in libraries, written for newspapers, done copy edits, magazine copy and screenplays, but the one thing that always intrigues me is choosing just the right word to express myself.

I write romantic suspense under the name ELIZABETH MARCHAT and erotic romance as ELIZA MARCH. Across A Crowded Room is my first book under the Elizabeth Marchat pseudonym, but not the last. The second romantic suspense the readers are asking for should be done before the first of the year and out shortly afterwards. To prevent boredom from setting in, I keep my hands in several pots at the same time. Perhaps the characters in my head satisfy my needs to be and do all the things I don't have time for, or wouldn't dare to do. Or would I?

Eliza’s been busy with recent releases of The Moon, The Madness, and The Magic, a sequel to the first book in The Enchanted Mountain series, The Lion, The Leopard, and The Wolf and now her contemporary erotic romance, More Than A Stud which should be available next month. All my books are available at the publishers’ buy sites and at Amazon and Barnes & Noble, some in both ebook and print format. I love hearing from both readers and other authors so stay in touch.

http://bookstrand.com/eliza-march
http://bookstrand.com/elizabeth-marchat
http://elizamarch.blogspot.com
http://elizamarch.com
http://elizabethmarchat.wordpress.com

2 comments:

Cathy M said...

I think that you picked a perfect word count, not too short, with characters getting a chance to really share their story with us.

Eliza March [Elizabeth Marchat] said...

Thank you, Cathy. That's nice of you to say but I lost count of the number of times I revised that book. I guess I could rewrite it forever, but I'll take your word for it. Thank you, again.
Eliza March