Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Roz Lee

It’s a Texas State of Mind


Hi everyone! Thanks for stopping by today. I can honestly tell you I was thrilled to find out I would be doing this week’s Author Spotlight – until I found out I would need to write five blogs! As a writer, it shouldn’t be difficult, but writing blog posts is nothing like writing erotic fiction. This is scary stuff, folks! For some reason my brain froze when I asked it to pop out these blog posts. I couldn’t think of a single thing to talk about. I knew I should tell you something about me, but writers are really bad when it comes to talking about themselves. We live in a fantasy world where we create characters and worlds to suit us. Rarely does the real world suit us.

Frankly, I’m tired of telling people about myself. Do you really want to know all that stuff about my family (one husband-for a very long time, two daughters and a dog), or that I live in New Jersey (some of the time), or that I was born and raised in Texas? I was skeptical about my readers interest, so I put out a call on Facebook for some new questions I could answer. Guess what? Readers really do want to know that stuff!

I promise not to bore you with this for the remaining posts, but for the person who asked me to tell you about Texas – here it is. Hold your breath… It’s coming… Something you didn’t know about Texas…

Texas is BIG!

Yep. It’s true. For example – El Paso is half way between Los Angeles, CA and Dallas, TX. I should know. I’m a Texan. Long Live the Republic! *waves Lone Star Flag wildly*

Now that I’ve gotten that out of my system…

Seriously – I can trace my family roots back to the short span of time Texas was a country all its own. Did you know Texas is the only state in the union that entered as a country? As such, the Lone Star flag flies at the same height as the Stars and Stripes. The capital building in Austin is a replica of the U.S. capital building – only bigger…and taller! (And it’s pink!)

Texas had to fight for their independence from Mexico, so the decision to ally with the United States was a big one (pardon the pun) for the Republic. Those ten years of independence, I think, contribute to the ‘Texas State of Mind’. And if you doubt such a state exists, you haven’t met a Texan!

I’ve lived outside of Texas for more years than I lived in it, but I still proudly refer to myself as a Texan. Texans have a ‘can do’ attitude. It all goes back to the days when my forefathers were fighting the massive Mexican armies. The small Texas militia were no physical match for Santa Ana’s troops, but what they lacked in numbers they made up for with heart and determination. (Remember the Alamo, where less than 200 men and women held off an army of nearly 5000 for two weeks.) It’s this spirit of determination and tenacity that most characterizes my home state.

So don’t try to tell a Texan it can’t be done. We’ll prove you wrong every time! Perhaps that’s why I dreamed up the Lothario, the cruise ship in my first book, THE LUST BOAT. Who says a cruise ship can’t have an erotic theme?

It’s been nice talking to you today. Ya’ll come back now! (Sorry! I couldn’t resist!)

5 comments:

Kathy Bennett said...

Hi Roz!

What interesting tidbits you gave us about Texas. No, I didn't know Texas was a country prior to being a state.

I'm proud to say my Dad was born and raised in Texas. When I go down there for a visit I find an accent creeping into my voice!

Ari Thatcher said...

It's nice to get to know you a bit more, Roz! My daughter and I drove through the upper part of Texas several times on trips to Missouri and always laughed because according to signs, we entered Clay County in several different spots miles apart. It's like you get stuck on a treadmill halfway across. I swear the state's visitor's board doesn't want you to escape.

jenniferprobst said...

HI Roz- I think you did great for your first official post and I'm looking forward to the next four! Gotta love those hot Texans!

Traci Bell said...

Hi Roz,

Just wanted to give a shout out from one proud Texan to another!

Traci

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Another shout out from another Texan. There's no place on earth quite like Texas!