Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Friday Spotlight:: Eliza March/Elizabeth Marchat

Author, Elizabeth Marchat
My process of writing a novel continued - Part 2


The Promise


Now what? I took a few classes on novel writing. Apparently there’s a difference between what I’d been writing in the past and the method of writing a romance novel. There are rules. A writer can skate around the edge in some genres but in romances some rules are etched in stone.

The Promise is the first rule, and the most important one. There must be an “happily ever after” or, at the very least, a “happily for now.” If the book is a “romance,” you can take that promise to the bank. The genre promises their readers a HEA or HFN. You share the characters’ attractions, their experiences of falling in and out of love, overcoming conflicts as they go through heartbreak and redemption, but no matter how bad things seem—you may not know how the hero and heroine will resolve their issues—you can trust that they will.

Romance is the second rule. The story is about the romance. Yes, there can be other subplots, but the primary plot line starts when the two main characters meet. The secondary plot line usually starts after that. So for instance, if the book is a mystery, the mystery becomes evident after the couple become involved with each other. The mystery will be resolved before the romantic conflict is concluded. This is true with paranormal, fantasy, westerns, historical or any other genre. What is it you love about romances?

Ever since I could read, the written word has captivated me. I’ve worked in libraries, written for newspapers, done copy edits, magazine copy and screenplays, but the one thing that always intrigues me is choosing just the right word to express myself.

I write romantic suspense under the name ELIZABETH MARCHAT and erotic romance as ELIZA MARCH. Across A Crowded Room is my first book under the Elizabeth Marchat pseudonym, but not the last. The second romantic suspense the readers are asking for should be done before the first of the year and out shortly afterwards. To prevent boredom from setting in, I keep my hands in several pots at the same time. Perhaps the characters in my head satisfy my needs to be and do all the things I don't have time for, or wouldn't dare to do. Or would I?

Eliza’s been busy with recent releases of The Moon, The Madness, and The Magic, a sequel to the first book in The Enchanted Mountain series, The Lion, The Leopard, and The Wolf and now her contemporary erotic romance, More Than A Stud which should be available next month. All my books are available at the publishers’ buy sites and at Amazon and Barnes & Noble, some in both ebook and print format. I love hearing from both readers and other authors so stay in touch.

http://bookstrand.com/eliza-march
http://bookstrand.com/elizabeth-marchat
http://elizamarch.blogspot.com
http://elizamarch.com
http://elizabethmarchat.wordpress.com

2 comments:

Lorelei Confer said...

Great post! Made me want to write and use the example you used. Keep up the good work.

Cathy M said...

Great post, and is exactly why I love reading romances.