Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Thursday Spotlight: Wendi Zwaduk


Here’s a Quarter

I let the muse play for a little bit. She insisted on that title. I kinda like it. It’s not as hot as Whipped Cream usually is, but it’s a little free writing. Anyway, this is what she came up with.
~ ~
“I want to come home.”

Eric stared at her, dumbfounded by her answer. I want to come home? What the hell...? 

“You said you wanted to be with him, not me.”

Missy twined her fingers. Her gaze didn’t quite meet his. “Haven’t you ever said something in anger you never really meant?”

“I’m about to say something right now.” The woman drove him crazy. From her raven hair to the crimson polish on her toes. Eric massaged his temples and turned away from her. Not two days earlier, she said she wasn’t happy. She wanted another man.

“Do you remember what you said last night when I walked out?”

“Here’s a freaking quarter.” Eric gritted his teeth and turned back to her. Missy didn’t reply. Tears shimmered in her brown eyes. “What do you want me to say? Do you want me to rip off my arms and ask you to hurt me some more? When I told you I loved you, it wasn’t something I said lightly. You threw my heart away like yesterday’s garbage.”

“I was wrong,” she murmured. 

“Wrong?”

Missy nodded and her hair fell over her eyes. 
 
Dammit. 

When she got upset it always knocked him off-kilter. Sometimes she played the emotional card to get under his skin. This wasn’t one of those times. Her shoulders bobbed as she cried. Eric sucked on a ragged breath. His brain screamed stay strong, while his heart broke for her. He fought the urge to reach for her and cuddle away her tears.

“What changed, Miss? What brought you back?”

She wiped her face and stared him straight in the eye. “You.” Her chin quivered a bit. “I sat up last night and thought about what I really wanted. Every scenario ended with you. Wherever I go, there you are. When you said, here’s a quarter...it broke down every last defense I’d built. You’re the one who gets me and gets to me.”

He could fight the feeling. He could turn and walk away from her. Or surrender.

Eric held open his arms. “Come here.” 

The moment she snuggled against him, tears wet his shirt. “I love you.”

“You destroyed a lot of bridges between us.” He stroked her hair. “Some of them might not mend.”

“What can I do to make it up to you? Be your slave? Scrub the house top to bottom? I’ll do it.” She placed her hand over his heart. “Is there still room in there for me?”

He considered her pleas. Slave for a day or two? Not really his style. Scrub the house? It could always use cleaning, but the idea didn’t suit. “How about you tell me when you’re feeling neglected or lonely? I can’t fix what I don’t know about.” He cupped her jaw in both hands and rubbed his nose over hers. “You’re in my soul. Do you really want me to wander around with a gaping hole?”

Fresh tears slipped down her cheeks despite her giggle. “Isn’t that supposed to be my line?”

“Let me love you.” He led her to the bedroom. She could make things up to him for the rest of the night.

2 comments:

Cathy M said...

This was so good Wendi. I love the line, “You’re in my soul. Do you really want me to wander around with a gaping hole?” A great awww moment.

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Thanks. That line made me smile, too. He's cocking his head, one brow raised, toying with her. And she's...eating it up. :-)