Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Spotlight: Kate Hill

Behind the Scenes 

If I watch a movie or read a book I really enjoy, I like to find out a little about what happened on the journey to the final product. DVD behind the scenes featurettes are often fun to watch. It's great to see the filming process and understand how writers, actors and special effects people create memorable characters and in a way bring fantasies to life.

With books behind the scenes information isn't always as readily available. I enjoy visiting authors' blogs or reading interviews in which they discuss how they developed characters I love. Sometimes author sites offer character bios or background information about characters and series. As a reader I enjoy these extras and as a writer I like offering this kind of information to those who might be interested.

Some series have a companion book that includes maps and information about people, places, languages and more. These are great references and enjoyable to look at.

It's fun to learn something about a favorite character that isn't in the pages of the book and it's interesting to discover the inspiration behind their stories.

Few things compare with finding characters and stories who stick in your mind and books that take a place on your keeper shelf, so it's nice to locate additional information about favorite stories.

How do you feel about behind the scenes information? Do you enjoy DVD extras? Are you interested in reading more about your favorite characters and stories? If so, what kind of information do you enjoy most?

3 comments:

booklover0226 said...

I love behind the scenes information. I really like character bios on authors' sites.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Cathy M said...

Hi Kate, happy new year! I love the behind the scenes scoop for both books and movies. I'm with Tracey, character bios and interviews give is another layer of the characters to appreciate.

BTW Kate, great to see you here.

Kate Hill said...

Hello Tracey and Cathy! Thanks for stopping by. Happy New Year!
Kate