Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wednesday Spotlight: Andrew Grey


On Writer’s Block

Sometimes, like right now, I sit at my computer trying to figure out what to write.  I have a blog entry that I need to write and I can’t figure out a good topic.  Writers deal with writer’s block all the time, sometimes in the middle of a story and sometimes, like me, when you’re trying to get something started.  There are many tools, for dealing with writer’s block, give your mind a rest and come back fresh, wait for inspiration to strike, or my personal favorite, write or die, which is exactly what I’m doing here with this blog entry.

You see, I truly couldn’t figure out what to write.  I’ve written a number of blog entries and done a number of interviews and I wanted to come up with something different, so I sat at my computer for half an hour, fingers poised, trying to think what I should write about.  Instead of coming up with the grand idea, I thought I would take you along with me.  

I’m currently sitting in the office at my brother’s house.  Last night was my sister’s fortieth birthday, it’s some ungodly hour of the morning, and the house is blessedly quiet because everyone is still in bed, except me.  My mind keeps telling me I should get out of bed and write this blog entry for Whipped Cream because the deadline’s approaching and if I don’t get my butt in gear, I’m going to be under the gun.  Sometimes for me, the looming deadline is enough to make any ideas I might have go into hiding for the rest of the winter.  Personally, I’ve always been the kind of person who works best I’m being pressed by internal goals as opposed to outside dates, but that’s just me.  

Wait, stop, hold the phone!!  It just happened.  As I’m sitting in this quiet office my niece (who is nine) just walked in and asking me what I’m doing, “I’m writing, but couldn’t figure out quite what to write about.”  She told me I should write about Christmas and then proceeded to tell me what she wanted.  She already has a list!  (It’s October as I write this) I’m listening and a character just popped into my head.   Now a setting.  

The ideas have started and I’m off to write.  Sorry if I rambled, but my writer’s block’s over and I have work to do.

2 comments:

LadyKatana said...

Sometimes you just have to babble to get your brain working. :)
I enjoy everything you write, even if it's educational..LOL

Stacia

Andrew Grey said...

Thanks you Stacia. I hope its more fun than educational.