Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday Spotlight: Kaily Hart

     So…Twitter, baby

I’ve learned a lot about social networking since deciding to become a writer and since becoming published as an author. Prior to that, I thought it was something that wouldn’t interest me in a million years. I mean, who would actually want to interact with strangers, strangers who could be anyone? I dipped my toe in slowly. My blog was first. I struggled to think about things to write about. Seriously, I thought, who’d possibly be interested in what I had to say? It was a great exercise in discipline. I played around with it, posted my entries, figured out what I wanted to do with it and…found my groove. Who knew ‘build it and they would come’ could actually be applied to blogs LOL? And then I discovered, I not only liked to blog, I LOVED it. Never saw that one coming.

I figured I needed a web site soon thereafter, so created one in an evening with a front-end, user-friendly interface. It should be called ‘building a website for dummies’ it was so easy. Then it was…Facebook. I have to say it took awhile to get into the swing of things there. I like to be a person who knows the ins and outs of something and FB has its ‘quirks’. I’d sit staring at a blank status and think…what should I say? Now, it’s become second nature and I do really like the structured nature of FB.

Click to follow Kaily
Next on the horizon? Twitter. I have an account. I follow people. I have followers, but haven’t jumped into Twitter perhaps as much as I should. Not yet. Just like with FB I think there’s a learning curve to get the most out of it and it takes a while to get the ‘feel’ for one of these social networks. I hear others rave about Twitter and talk about its many virtues, so my goal in the next few months is to get immersed in it to see if it’s for me.

So…do YOU Twitter? Any tips, tricks, suggestions and/or recommendations for an author about to jump in?

7 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

I'll confess I'm not a fan of Twitter yet. I have an account, and I do remember to 'tweet' about once a month. A friend of mine who loves it, gets updates on his phone whenever someone he's following 'tweets'. Maybe if I ever get a phone with access, I'll enjoy it more. Right now, I'm more into blogging and Facebook:)

Kaily Hart said...

Hey Molly, I hear you although I'm keeping my mind wide open. It clearly has it's advantages and it's cons, but that's what I thought about FB at first. I'm game... :)

Rula Sinara said...

Hey Kaily, I laugh when I think back to when you told me to get blogging already :) I love it and never thought I would. As for Twitter and FB, baby steps. I've 'lurked' on Twitter and it's giving me a feel for how it all works. I think part of it is fear of the unknown. Eventually....

mickoo said...

So far, I'm twitter-free.
I get why authors tweet because those who write have something interesting to say (let's hope).
I'm afraid I would fall into the other group that tweet gems like: "Well, I'm off to the store to get some milk..." or "I'm just sitting here on the beach...". Let's face it, some do it well & some just do it.

chey said...

I don't twitter. I really don't have anything to twitter about.

Kaily Hart said...

Rula, I think lurking is a great way to evaluate if something is for you and to ease into it.

Hey mickoo, that's exactly what some authors Tweet about LOL.

Chey, that's what I thought too. Go figure :)

VildesVerden said...

I love twitter - think it is fun and fresh and interesting
Happy new year from Norway