Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thursday Spotlight: Lori Toland

I love all kinds of food but I was born in Southern California and I grew up eating Mexican food and dining at awesome Japanese restaurants. 

When I first moved to Florida, though, I used to live in a small town where there was one Japanese steakhouse that was awful so I had to teach myself how to cook Japanese food. I don’t touch sushi (I let a trained chef take care of that) but I do make teriyaki, tempura and katsu. Tonkatsu (pork katsu) and chicken katsu are some of the hardest dishes to make because of the sauce but they are my favorite and hugely popular in Hawaii.

In Home For The Holidays, Blaze offers to cook for Jason for Christmas, making his favorite dish Chicken Katsu. So I’ll share my fave recipe with you. :-)

The recipe is the same for both chicken and pork. I recommend using the thinnest cut boneless pork chop or boneless chicken breast.





For four servings:

Four chicken breasts or pork chops, thin sliced
Two eggs, beaten
1 cup of Panko breadcrumbs
Oil (I recommend corn oil)

First, heat your oil for frying over medium-high heat.

To prepare the meat, put the egg and panko crumbs into separate shallow bowls or plates. Dip the meat in egg first then roll in the breadcrumbs. I normally double dip the egg and breadcrumbs to give it an extra coating. Then put it in the oil (there should be enough oil to immerse 1/3 of the meat in it) and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.

For the katsu sauce:

I recommend finding a good bottled katsu sauce to your liking but you can make your own. Here is the recipe:

1 1/3 cups of dashi stock
6 tablespoons soy sauce
6 tablespoons rice wine
1 tablespoon sake
2 teaspoon of sugar

I personally enjoy Kagome but you may find other brands to your liking.

Tip: check your meat before serving. Cut into it with a knife and make sure it is fully cooked, especially if you have never done this recipe before. Cooking times may vary due to your stove.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Thanks for the recipe!
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

cheryl c said...

I appreciate the recipe. I have never tried Japanese cooking before.
castings at mindspring dot com