Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Monday Spotlight: Lori Toland

I have a very strange quirk when I create my characters. All of the men I write have very strong grandmotherly presences in their lives. Except for one story, they all have a grandmother of some sort that provided a great deal of love and happiness with support. I mirror them after my own grandmother who was always ready with chicken soup, with chicken on the side.

It seems like the characters I create, especially the main ones, always resemble the people in my life and the situations they face. I know what it’s like to have to leave the love of your life because of work. The temptation to forget work and never leave this person’s side is so strong but like Blaze, I had to turn and get on the bus and carry the pieces of my broken heart with me, hoping he wouldn’t forget me. 

I have to say though, I am guilty of self insertion. I created Jennifer, Jason’s assistant, in my likeness. She befriends Blaze from the get-go, even trying to help Jason along in getting together with Blaze, always ready with a comment about what a cute couple Jason and Blaze make (because I think so too.) I have to admit, I stole this idea from Japanese anime and manga, of which I am a huge fan.

Sometimes I create characters who I steal from my own life and immortalize them in my books, especially the people I’ve lost along the way. My grandmother passed away back in 2005 but for me she will always live on in my books and I smile whenever I read her spirit coming through the pages. 

4 comments:

Maureen said...

That's really sweet that you show your love of your grandmother by putting her in your stories.
mce1011 AT aol DOT com

cheryl c said...

That's a great way to remember the people in your life.
castings at mindspring dot com

Lori Toland said...

Thank you :)

Rebecca Leigh said...

This seems like a wonderful way to immortilize the ones you love.