Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday Spotlight: Lex Valentine

Heroes: The Fun Guy


You can’t always read books about angsty characters. Sometimes you need lighter fare. Stuff that’s more fun. Characters that don’t really have things to overcome. Stories that are just feel good stories that make you smile from start to finish. I know I love this kind of book. Even though I have to be in the mood for it, I just have the most fun reading them!

Since I tend to be a little broody myself, I don’t often find myself in the mindset to write just stories. Sure, I can be a little humorous, but humor from start to finish isn’t really my thing. Yet I managed to do this with The Pixie Prince. Max is an outgoing guy. He’s got a sunny personality and he enjoys life. An underwear model, Max is comfortable with people both in and out of his clothes. His best friend and sidekick Alexa is a broody vampire with a tragic past. However, her snark is admirably played off against Max’s irrepressible good humor.

When Max meets his mate he discovers she’s a lot like him. Her younger brother is like Alexa, broody with a tragic past. Poor Bliss finds it tough to constantly deal with an angst ridden younger brother and an overprotective older one. She loves how free being with Max makes her feel. The book is filled with little quips and humorous banter. It will make you smile and laugh out loud. I love that in a book!

My other feel good hero is Randall Wise in The Wise Guy. Rand is a good guy who’s decided he’ll have better luck in love if he’s a bad guy. After all, the bad boys always get the girl! When a sexy woman moves in next door, Rand decides to try acting the bad boy to see how far it gets him with her. Brenna Thorne is a nice girl. The girl next door type. But Brenna thinks she needs to act the sex kitten to get a man. After all, the sex kittens get all the men! Rand and Brenna try not to act like themselves but fate and a cat named Rambo conspire to ensure that the two fall in love no matter what they’re pretending to be.

The humorous and comical parts of The Pixie Prince and The Wise Guy are the most fun I’ve ever had reading a book. Books that can make me laugh out loud or giggle behind my fingers as I keep turning pages…those books are keepers. Heroes who are fun guys, who make even the more boring of things into something amusing, are among my most favorite heroes ever! Who can forget a hero who is funny and sexy at the same time? And who wouldn’t want a hero who puts the Happy in the HEA from page one?

I’d be interested to see who think are fun heroes. Tell me whose heroes make you laugh!

4 comments:

Crystal Dee said...

You could basically pick any hero from a Jennifer Crusie book. That's not to say that there isn't drama in her stories, just that her men are generally unflappable. I'll have to check out your "The Wise Guy" it sounds like a book to really enjoy!

Marianne Stephens said...

Love and laughter can combine to make a very interesting hero. A hero who can make you laugh and still have an enormous amount of sex appeal will pique a heroine's curiosity. I enjoy the fun heroes as opposed to the brooding ones...but that's because I like humor.

lindseye said...

I have laughed with Vivian Arend, Lauren Dane, Mari Carr and Gail Carriger.

Lex Valentine said...

Thanks for the recommends, ladies. I'll have to check them all out. I love a hero who is fun and makes me laugh. Thanks so much for coming by and commenting too!