Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Thursday Spotlight: Lex Valentine

Behind the Pen Name

When readers discover that Lex Valentine doesn’t just spend her days writing, they’re often curious about what she actually does. The woman behind the pen name is a mother, an IT professional, and partner to a man who can still wear the same size jeans he wore in high school. (Doesn’t that just tick you off? LOL) All of these and more are combined into the harried person who dons the pen name every night after work.

My writing is a key part of me, but the other parts often interrupt the writer. There’s my daughter Nikki the art college student who needs another twenty bucks for poster board and materials and photo paper. One day, that kid is gonna draw the characters you see on World of Warcraft. Already, she’s an accomplished artist. Then there’s my significant other, Rott. He of the 30-waist 501 jeans. He’s not a guy I need to pamper much. He’s happy with $20 worth of incense, a new CD (most recent one was Stone Temple Pilot’s new release), and a carne asada burrito. Oh! And the NASA channel. He got so excited when I added it to our channel line-up. LOL I swear he’s such a homebody you’d never know he’s 6 years younger than me!

The other part of me is the woman who works sometimes 50 hour weeks and is on call every weekend. Being the sole network administrator for the largest privately owned mortuary/cemetery company in the area can be a very demanding job. Most people who find out where I work are stunned. “Do you really work at a cemetery?” Yes, I do. “Do you see dead bodies?” I have seen dead people, yes, but we’re very respectful of them. They are, after all, someone’s loved one. We treat them with dignity at all times.

It’s a demanding job and I often get phone calls on the weekend that necessitate me getting onto the server at work and boosting someone out of an application they’re stuck in or fixing a contract in the cemetery software because someone has messed it up and can’t get it to print correctly for the customer. At the office, my phone rings constantly. If it’s not an IT question, it’s a question about procedures. Since I do Accounting functions as well as IT, I get a lot of calls about how to do something. How do I get my toolbar back? Where do I find the code for this casket? As challenging as the job can be, I love it. I suppose that’s why I’ve been there more than 10 years.

It’s a good thing that the woman behind the Lex Valentine pen name can juggle because if she couldn’t, I don’t think you’d have any new releases from her to read!

6 comments:

KarennaC said...

Wow... kudos, Lex, on being able to handle so much!

Z.A. Maxfield said...

Wow, my hat is off to you, my friend!

(Hey, let's sneak out to lunch again!)

booklover0226 said...

Lex - what ever magic you have to handle so much, you must bottle and sell it. I'll be the first in line to purchase it!

Thanks,
Tracey D

Janice said...

Hi Lex,

You did have your hands full and write too. Your an amazing talent my friend.

Janice~

lindseye said...

Having a job can make the time you can devote to writing more focused and directed because there is someplace to be for so many hours. WOuld never want to write but I am fascinated by the process.

Lex Valentine said...

It's true that I have a lot on my plate. I'm envious of those who can write any day they want. At the same time, there are days I love my job so much I can't imagine not having it. And I guess what keeps me going is that mostly I love what I do and I have such a drilled in work ethic from my parents.

Thanks for coming by everyone!
(Yeah, ZAM lunch sounds great!)