Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday Spotlight: Desiree Holt

Why Do I Write

First of all, I want to thank Marianne and Judy for having me here in the author spotlight. It’s a real pleasure and I know I’m going to enjoy every minute of it.I look for old friends to join me and to making new friends. So pour your coffee, tea or soda, pull up a chair and let’s talk.

I find as I participate in book signings, chats, other activities, that there are five questions people seem to ask over and over. The same questions, I guess, I ask of authors I read myself and want to know more about.

1. Why Do I Write
2. Where Do I Get My Ideas
3. How Do I Do My Research
4. What My Day Is Like
5. What Am I working On Now

So why do I write? I write because I have an overactive imagination and if I tried to do all the things whirling around in my mind I wouldn’t be long for this world. So instead I write about them. In my stories I can visit every country in the world, immerse myself in any kind of profession, meet an array of fascinating people.

I had an English teacher many years ago who said, “When you write you give the reader a gift. On a blank page, with your words, you can help them draw pictures in their mind, give free rein to their imagination. They can take your words and create their own pictures.” I’ve never forgotten that. When I plot my stories and define my characters I try to use my words as an artist uses brushes and help the reader visualize.

I write because I like to share my thoughts with other people, and because I’m an addicted storyteller. When a thought dances around in my brain and begins to coalesce into a story, I want to share it with other people. To make them see and feel the things I do. Hopefully to bring pleasure into their lives.

And I write because in my computer and on the pages of my books I can be anyone, go anywhere and do anything, without ever leaving home. It’s a wonderful world out there and I try to capture it all in the pages of my books..

4 comments:

Dena said...

Hi Desiree, It's good to see you here. I enjoyed your post and look forward to them all week.

robynl said...

Hi and welcome;
having said 'I use my words as an artist uses brushes'it makes me think I have to get a book of yours and read it- sounds like you paint very good pictures with words.

Cathy M said...

Hi Desiree,

I love the quote from your teacher. It is exactly why I read romance stories.

booklover0226 said...

Hello, Desiree.

I, too, liked your teacher's quote. It is so true. I do draw pictures while reading a great story. So much so, that if a movie is made, I refuse to see it!

Thanks,
Tracey D