Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wednesday Spotlight: Arianna Skye

My New and Improved Writing Schedule!

Not only am I a writer, but I’m also a full time tech support representative. I work Monday through Thursday ten hours a day. Even on Friday, my day off, I am extremely busy meeting with my critique group, so trying to find time to write can be very daunting. I found myself making excuses. I’m too tired. I just sat at a computer for ten hours. Well, self, guess what? That’s what you have pen and paper for!

Now, I look at it this way. There are 24 hours in a day. 18 hours of that is spent working and sleeping. That leaves 6 hours open. Subtract a couple hours for normal household and familial duties and you still have 3 or 4 hours available. Don’t forget the weekend. There’s no work, so there’s even more extra time for your writing pleasure. I also have a DVR, so the “I’m going to miss my favorite show” excuse doesn’t hold much weight either. Gotta love technology, huh?

I don’t have to be to work until 9:30 am, so I have plenty of morning time to crank out some words. I’m single and have no kids, so that’s some extra time I have at my disposal. You can tailor your own schedule to fit your needs.

Here’s what I came up for myself:

6:00 AM-6:30 AM Wake up / shower / brush teeth

6:30 AM -7:00AM – Eat / Fuel up

7:00 AM - 8:30 AM – Write

8:30 AM - 9:30 AM – Leave for work

9:30 AM - 2:15 PM Work

2:15 PM - 2:45 PM – Lunch (Also writing)

2:45 PM - 8:00 PM – Work

8:00 PM -8:45 PM – Leave for home

8:45 PM - 9:45 PM – Internet/email catch up

9:45 PM -11:00 PM – Whatever I want to do :-)
11:00 PM - 6:00 AM – Sleep

See how easy it can be? This is a new regimen for me, so I’m still experimenting. But that’s what’s cool with experiments. You can make adjustments to maximize your results. So we really have no excuses, right?

8 comments:

Martha W. said...

Hi Arianna!

I've had to do the same thing. Except throw 2 kids and a hubby into that schedule for me. *grin* I work full time too. So I write after the kiddos go to bed and on my lunch hour.

It's amazing how much time we have at our disposal if we just look close enough.

Great post!

Lorrie said...

A schedule sounds wonderful. Now drat the interuptions from hubby and kids. Around here, it's catch those few hours when you can and the energy to use them to write.
*sigh* I need a quiet cabin in the woods. lol.

Margaret West said...

Oh my goodness. I work three jobs, (about 50 hrs a week) take care of my hubby who needs daily meds for a condition, walk the dog, clean the house and everything else that comes with a home life. So how do I find time to write...I brought a handbag size laptop, that has its own plug in internet and where ever I am, if I have a free moment, I write. It logs on to my home, hard drive, so if I lost my laptop, my works still safe. A writers life is hard, unless your JK of course...then it's good!!!! LOL

Arianna Skye said...

Martha and Lorrie, even though I am single, I am constantly surrounded by family. I've become a master of blocking out the external commotion. So much so it takes them at least five tries to break me from my trancelike state. LOL

Margaret, three jobs! Holy cow!!! And you still find time to write! That's awesome! I just bought myself a netbook for that purpose. It fits in my handbag and whenever I have some free time during my lunch, I usually eat and write. I only get about a paragraph or so, but it's a paragraph I didn't have earlier :-)

Martha W. said...

LOL... If I try to block out the commotion (and I have tried), my son will get to within an inch of my face and give me a "Hello?" look. Hubby's not much better. *grin*

That's usually when I head to B&N where I can ignore everyone guilt-free... except the coffee guy. lol.

booklover0226 said...

I pretty much follow a schedule during the week days and a semi-schedule on weekends. Not matter what, though, I ALWAYS schedule time for reading!

Thanks,
Tracey D

robynl said...

what a schedule; my goodness.

Julie Robinson said...

Time management is my hardest problem. I am constantly revising my schedule. Seems like there aren't enough hours in the day. I'm trying to learn to use my time wisely. your industriousness is impressive.
Julie