Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuesday Spotlight: Viki Lyn

Top Five Sacred Sites or Wow, the energy of the place is awesome!

Good Morning! I've always been fascinated by ancient cultures. This, and my love for travel, as led me to visit many sacred sites around the world, some more famous than others. This love has also led me to writing paranormal. So much of my imaginary worlds are based on myth and ancient lore. So here's my list of sacred places. There are so many wonderful sites that it's hard to whittle it down to five. I've chose sites where I had a profound experience just by taking in the energy of the sacred place.

1. The Hypogeum in Malta - this was breathtaking experience to climb down the path leading into carved out rooms in stone where rituals were most likely performed and the dead buried. It's said to be the only prehistoric underground temple in the world.

2. Fátima, Portugal - When I stepped on to the square of the Sanctuary of Our Lady Of Fátima it brought tears to my eyes. I felt at peace. Pilgrims were on the hands and knees crawling toward the sanctuary, candles were lit as offerings in the square. It was a profound moment.

3. King's Chamber inside the Great Pyramid, Giza, Egypt - I am slightly claustrophobic but I wasn't going to miss climbing inside the pyramid to reach the King's Chamber at the top. The narrow passageway ascends 129 feet, and is 3'6" wide and 3' 11" high! Once I reached the chamber I had to bend to cross the threshold.

4. Zeus Cave, known as Ideon Adnron, Mt. Idi, Crete - This was a climb down into the bowels of the damp wet earth. It's not the most beautiful cave I've ever seen, but the atmosphere held a quiet dignity and mystery.

5. Eremo delle Carceri, Assisi, Italy - On the slope of Monte Subasios, St. Francis and his followers gathered in 1205. The Carceri Hermitage was established and the stone monastery still stands today. It's a lovely place for contemplation.

I left out so many other wonderful sites. If you have a favorite, let me know. If I haven't been there, I'll put it on my bucket list!

Happy Reading,

Viki Lyn
http://www.vikilyn.com

2 comments:

LeslieJane said...

I haven't been to any of the places you mentioned, but they are going on my bucket list. A place you should try is Stonehenge, awsome.

And it is probably way to new for some, but the Vietnam Memorial in DC can be very moving. You might start at one end laughing, but are somber and reflective by the end.

Romance With a Twist said...

Leslie, those are both very wonderful sites (I've been to both) and cried when viewing the Memorial. I also liked the FDR Memorial too. It's very difficult to choose only five sites! I viewed Stonehenge after a fence was placed around it. To be able to walk among the ruins would have been awesome! But I was amazed even fenced off it didn't diminish the beauty and importance of the place! Viki Lyn