Top Five Sacred Sites or Wow, the energy of the place is awesome!
Good Morning! I've always been fascinated by ancient cultures. This, and my love for travel, as led me to visit many sacred sites around the world, some more famous than others. This love has also led me to writing paranormal. So much of my imaginary worlds are based on myth and ancient lore. So here's my list of sacred places. There are so many wonderful sites that it's hard to whittle it down to five. I've chose sites where I had a profound experience just by taking in the energy of the sacred place.
1. The Hypogeum in Malta - this was breathtaking experience to climb down the path leading into carved out rooms in stone where rituals were most likely performed and the dead buried. It's said to be the only prehistoric underground temple in the world.
2. Fátima, Portugal - When I stepped on to the square of the Sanctuary of Our Lady Of Fátima it brought tears to my eyes. I felt at peace. Pilgrims were on the hands and knees crawling toward the sanctuary, candles were lit as offerings in the square. It was a profound moment.
3. King's Chamber inside the Great Pyramid, Giza, Egypt - I am slightly claustrophobic but I wasn't going to miss climbing inside the pyramid to reach the King's Chamber at the top. The narrow passageway ascends 129 feet, and is 3'6" wide and 3' 11" high! Once I reached the chamber I had to bend to cross the threshold.
4. Zeus Cave, known as Ideon Adnron, Mt. Idi, Crete - This was a climb down into the bowels of the damp wet earth. It's not the most beautiful cave I've ever seen, but the atmosphere held a quiet dignity and mystery.
5. Eremo delle Carceri, Assisi, Italy - On the slope of Monte Subasios, St. Francis and his followers gathered in 1205. The Carceri Hermitage was established and the stone monastery still stands today. It's a lovely place for contemplation.
I left out so many other wonderful sites. If you have a favorite, let me know. If I haven't been there, I'll put it on my bucket list!