Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wednesday Spotlight: Catrina Calloway

OLD HABITS DIE HARD...

I recently received one of the best gifts ever – my ‘Nook’ ebook reader. For those of you who read ebooks, I don’t have to tell you the absolute joy of buying and downloading a book within a minute. Right there at my fingertips, I’m able to just sit down in my favorite chair in the den and enjoy a book. No hassles – no going to the bookstore, no wasted paper, just the pure joy of reading. And when I’m done with the book, if I like it, I can archive it, if I don’t, I can delete it.

My ‘Nook’ is a joy. I truly love it. But here’s the thing: old habits are hard to break.

Do you know what I find myself doing? Get ready for this...

I manually try to turn the page!

Is it that the ebook reader is just so much like a print book that I’m doing that?

It is very easy to turn to the next page, or go back to a previous one, when you’re reading a book on an ebook reader. All I have to do is press a button on my ‘Nook’ and in an instant, I’m on the next page, or I can go to a different part of the book. Like another chapter. Or go back to a previous chapter.

But sometimes, that sneaky, little ‘print’ devil jumps onto my shoulder and whispers in my ear, ‘go on...turn the page...just reach up and flick the corner...’

And I do it.

Then I really, really laugh at myself.

The best part is, I’m grabbing at the top, right corner of the ebook reader, trying to grasp the page between my fingers so I can turn it, and it actually takes me a couple of tries before I realize...

I just don’t have to do that anymore.

And while it is an absolute pleasure to realize that, perhaps it is a little sad, too, when something new replaces something old. It is exciting, as well as distressing to realize that things have changed, and will change rapidly in the months and years to come – particularly with publishing.

I wouldn’t give up my ‘Nook’ for anything – it gives me too much reading pleasure, but...

Old habits die hard. I guess they always will.


www.myspace.com/catrinacalloway

3 comments:

Judy said...

I wish I had a reader. I am use to the ebooks and they have many good traits!! The only thing I will miss is the feel and smell of my book :)

booklover0226 said...

I have a Sony Reader and love it, though I will never stop buying paperbacks.... I need to fill my bookcases with something besides dust bunnies.

What's nice with the reader, I don't have to worry about my book mark falling out!

Thanks,
Tracey D

Catrina Calloway said...

What I like best about my Nook ebook reader is a day like today...

There's about a foot or more of snow outside - and I can 'browse' in the book store on my ebook reader, without even leaving my chair.

It is wonderful. A huge selection of books, right at my fingertips.

Happy reading, everyone!

Hugs from,
Catrina Calloway