Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thursday Spotlight: Catrina Calloway

A BODY A DAY HELPS KEEP THE MONSTERS AWAY...

Last year, I wanted to write a M/F/M erotic ménage romance for Halloween, but I have to tell you, the ideas were not coming fast and furious.

They were almost non-existent.

So, I do what I do best to get the creative juices flowing: I stop thinking.

I know that sounds crazy, but I’ve found that when I relax my mind and stop trying so hard, the ideas start to form quickly. That’s just what happened when I wrote Body Count.

I was watching television one late spring day, and lo and behold, there was a documentary on about something called a ‘body farm.’

Fascination poured through me as I discovered how a body farm operates. It is where some of the dearly departed of this world wind up so that forensic science can study their decomposing bodies, and help law enforcement be better able to solve crimes. The bodies decay naturally, usually in an open field, exposed to the elements and animals.

On this particular body farm, the deceased had all willingly left their bodies to science, or more accurately, to decay naturally so that students of forensic science at a local university could study them.

The wheels started turning in my brain, and that’s when the idea for my Halloween story sprang forth. I got to work immediately on writing...

Dr. Marta Phillips operates a body farm where the dearly departed find eternal slumber as a science experiment to help forensic students study decomposition. But someone's tampering with the bodies laid to rest in the open field. Instead of decaying, they're disappearing. Marta must find the culprit, the human--or inhuman thing that's taking off with her corpses; otherwise, her project will be shut down. It's Halloween eve, but Marta's determined to stay up all night and catch the corpse-thief red-handed.

A double dose of sexy evil lurks in the fields outside of Marta's body farm. Maximillian Effroi and his cousin, Hugh, are the two darkly handsome Frenchmen renting the old gristmill down the road. Tucked safely away from the world, they only venture out at night, lest someone discover their horrible secret. When corpses begin disappearing from Marta's body farm, the police, and Marta, accuse them of pilfering the dead, but it is her heart that Maximillian and Hugh steal when they show Marta the sensual secrets of the night, and she discovers the terrifying, yet sad reason Maximillian and Hugh hide from the world. Together they solve the mystery of whose taking corpses and the low... Body Count.

Body Count provided me with lots of great paranormal writing fun. And the bit of mystery as to who Hugh and Maximillian really are, and who is taking the bodies, just added to my enjoyment when I wrote Body Count.

I also learned lots about a body farm. There are quite a few here in America – the FBI operates one, too. I thought a lot about the people who actually donate their bodies to the cause of science – particularly to a body farm. I don’t know if that would be something I could ever do, but the sacrifice these dearly departed make is invaluable to law enforcement agencies everywhere. Decomposition, supposedly, is one of the most telling ways that law enforcement can solve the mystery behind someone’s murder. Time of death, position of the body, how long the body has been dead are important factors in determining the ‘who dunnit’ of who did it.

BODY COUNT...where a body a day helps keep the monsters away.

Or maybe not. Because if it is two, dark, handsome Frenchmen like Hugh and Maximillian who are out and about, maybe, you won’t want to stay away...

www.myspace.com/catrinacalloway

2 comments:

booklover0226 said...

I understand your statement about "stop thinking". At work, I make things more complicated and difficult if I seem to think about it too much. I step away, take a breather, and start over. CLICK! Everything falls into place and is simple and easy.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to buy Body Count now.

Thanks,
Tracey D

Catrina Calloway said...

Hello Tracey!

Great minds think alike. : )

Enjoy BODY COUNT.

Hugs from,
Catrina Calloway