Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Spotlight: Sharie Silva

You don’t have to be a creative personality to have a muse.

Writers and artists often speak of their inspiration coming in the form of a muse. We constantly strive to stroke our muses and make them happy so they’ll give us our ideas. We read books like The Artist’s Way and The Right to Write by Julia Cameron to encourage our muse.

I’ve attended workshops where we explored what our muse looked like so we could use that image positively. I discovered mine is a peacock, which made sense because I have vases of peacock feathers and peacocks everywhere. I guess I already knew but just hadn’t acknowledged it. You know what? Having a muse doesn’t make me special.

I believe all people have a muse. It’s whatever motivates you to do the things you love. Whether it’s sewing, gardening, dancing, cooking or just being a mom, your muse is involved. It’s that God-given talent you have. We teach our kids these days that everyone has a special talent and that’s spot on. Very true. Most people don’t see their talents as valuable either. That’s because, as a talent, it comes easy to you and we tend to think easy things have no value since little effort was involved. There IS effort, you’re just so involved in enjoying the process that you don’t realize it. Just like me, you simply need to acknowledge it.

There’s nothing wrong with taking pride in the things we love. It’s part of who we are. I want to leave you this week with an assignment. Go out and use your talent, enjoy doing it. Email me your experience at shariesilva at gmail dot com and I’ll send you a little reward (don’t forget to include your snail mail addy so I can send it to you).

No comments: