Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Monday Spotlight: Leona Grey

Why I Write

It started as a simple love of reading . I love how books can call up images in my head, like I'm not only watching a movie but a fly on the wall in the movie. Then I started wanting more from my books. I wanted to be the characters for a little while - some of them were so interesting -- and so I was. That satisfied me until I started feeling the need to change the characters. I would rewrite whole story endings in my head, taking days at a time until I felt it was right. But who was I to change a story like that? I certainly wasn't a writer. Or was I?

I decided to try it and start small, a few poems. Some were kind of good, some were really bad. Nope, I wasn't a writer. I could barely write a good poem. Yet still I couldn't help but make changes in my head to any story I was reading. 'No, she wouldn't have said that. She's too proud.' Things along those lines. It was becoming frustrating. I couldn't just sit and enjoy a book sometimes because I was (unconsciously) trying to write one in my head. Characters began to pile up in there, interjecting their random thoughts into my everyday conversation.

Now before you call the men in the white coats on me, I knew by this time that these were characters of my own creation in my head. I just didn't know if they were good enough. I was a scaredy cat for a long while before I decided I had to do something about it. Eventually I realized though that I had to get my thoughts down in print. Even if they weren't good enough I had to try. And here I am now with three published ebooks and myriad story ideas or 'plot bunnies' happily scampering around in my brain every day. And I'm happy. I hope if you happen to read one of my stories that comes through.

2 comments:

booklover0226 said...

Hi, Leona.

Have you ever created a character who you detested?

Thanks,
Tracey D

Leona Grey said...

Hi Tracy,

I have. He is a good character but if I ever met him, I'd want to sock him. In my opinion the best characters are very realistic and, lets face it, there are a lot of jerks out there. But yeah, this particular one goes above and beyond.

Leona