Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tuesday Spotlight: Raine Delight

Promotion and a new writer

Congratulations, you got your first book contract and now the publisher wants you to go out and talk about your book. Where do you go? What do you do if you are a new author just starting out and don't have an advance? Well, I found myself in this position a few years ago and found innovative ways to get my name out there.

I looked for free places where I can go to chat with readers, introduce myself and “pimp” my book to the readers. I also talked to established authors on marketing ideas and made up a ton of free promo items at home off my computer like bookmarks, post cards and other stuff to send out to review places/conventions for promotional items to get readers interested in my work.

Blogs are great, yahoo lops, interviews, spotlights, a professional looking website if possible and more all help get your name out there to the readers. I try to do a blog spotlight a month and a few interviews or chats a week if possible. I go on loops and start asking reader questions, use my signature line with links for readers to go to and I just started using twitter, which confounds me but I hear it helps readers get to know you better. It doesn't have to cost a ton of money for you as a beginner author to get your name out there. All you need is perseverance and a little ingenuity to make your name known.

2 comments:

booklover0226 said...

I have "discovered" so many new authors through blogs. Then I usually go to their websites and learn more about them. I really enjoy reading the book excerpts.

I'm always thrilled when an author takes the time to chat with her/his fans.

Thanks,
Tracey D

Raine Delight said...

Thanks for coming by Tracey. I hope you can check out my website/blog and see what interests you there. :)

Raine D.