Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, October 30, 2009

Friday Spotlight: Jeanne Barrack

I Do -- and I hope you do, too.

Do you support the right of any human being to marry the person they love? The right to say 'I Do' to a life of commitment and sharing with that one special person? I do. (Quote taken from blurb from I Do! -- an anthology in support of marriage equality published by: MLR Press, LLC)

I am very proud to be a part of the collection of twenty stories of "love and commitment" with my story "Finally, Forever". All proceeds of the sale of this book go to the Lambda Legal Fund's fight for marriage equality.

This will be the shortest essay because it actually is the most difficult one for me to write. I find that words fail me and so I am just going to share with you some links to articles, blogs, and news stories that I've come across to share why I feel so strongly about this cause.

http://tinyurl.com/nooneshoulddiealone ~ Confusion, inconsistencies, ignorance and denial of same sex couples' rights to be with partners of many years at the end of life, need to be addressed. And this update, which still does not take responsibility. http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/1258772.html

http://tinyurl.com/paperandclocks ~ A promise made. A promise broken. The 55 year partnership ~ and two month long marriage ~ between Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin.

http://www.whiteknot.org/stories.html ~ Pictures and stories of hope and fulfillment. Please scroll down and check out and read about these couples and supporters of marriage equality

and last http://www.lambdalegal.org/ ~ Lambda Legal Fund. It's not only about marriage equality, but many issues.

So, I began this week with HEA endings and end with the wish for HEA endings for everyone.

Thank you for sharing this week with me.

6 comments:

Z.A. Maxfield said...

Everyone deserves a happily ever after if they choose one. I'm proud to be part of I Do, and support Marriage Equality too. Good post!

Z.A. Maxfield

Jeanne said...

Thanks, Zam.
I really couldn't write anything as eloquent and real as the articles and links I found.
I think sometimes people forget that the characters we write about are inspired to some degree by people both past and present who are affected by ignorance, fear and bigotry

PG Forte said...

I agree with you, Jeanne. I don't know how anyone can look at the faces of those couples and not be happy for them!

They're so obviously in love and it's beautiful. Maybe the people who have a problem with that are the ones who shouldn't be allowed to get married--since they clearly don't know the first thing about love!

booklover0226 said...

Life is too short to be unable to marry the one you love.

I'm going to buy I, Do, too!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and stories with us this week, Jeanne.

Tracey D

LeslieJane said...

I will have to go out and buy I Do, since I am in support of Marriage Equality! No one has the right to tell anyone who to love or not love, and refuse them the rights accorded to couple just because they do not fit the "norm".

Leslie Jane

Jeanne said...

I'd like to thank Whipped Cream for the opportunity to share my thoughts on writing and my work.
And thanks to everyone who journeyed with me this week.
Let's all hope for HEA endings for everyone!