Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thursday Spotlight: Dakota Trace

It’s All For A Good Cause

When I was started writing A Moment Out Of Time, my youngest sister had just found out her youngest son Cameron has Cerebral Palsy. While I don't claim to be an expert on this watching my nephew struggle with it affected me. It's so heartbreaking. He's such a little trooper and smiles a lot even though I know he has to be in pain. When I found out about it, I was in the process of writing a short story for an anthology. It was a summer anthology and the original idea I'd had was to write about a couple who met during a flood and reunited a year later. Instead of completely scrapping the story, I tweaked it and had my heroine, 'George', be affected by it. I felt better about it by doing this. I wanted to draw attention to the fact the disease exists but many people who have it don't let it get them down and continue to have as normal as a life as possible.

Then today, when my sister called and said they may have to operate on my three-year-old nephew I was nearly beside myself. I just didn't feel like I was doing enough. Being supportive and listening to her is what a good sister or aunt does. But what about the author? Writing is such a big part of me. So I've decided when A Moment Out of Time comes out I'll be donating all my proceeds to United Cerebral Palsy.

2 comments:

booklover0226 said...

Your donation is quite generous.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Thanks,
Tracey D

Dena said...

I hope the surgery is helpful to your little nephew. My thoughts are with your sisters family. Donating your proceeds is wonderfully generous. I hope in the future they will find a cure.