Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Author Interview: Lynne Logan

Whipped Cream is pleased to have with us Lynne Logan, whose latest book, Bribes, Blackmail and Bondage was released this month by Red Sage Publishing.

Lynne told me that people are often shocked when they discover she writes erotica. "I'm usually one of the last ones in a group that 'gets' a dirty joke," she said. "I still blush even after having sold four very steamy books."

Her favorite erotic book is Awaken My Love by her all-time favorite erotic author Robin Schone. Lynne picked up one of Robin's books years ago, by accident, but ever since she read it she eagerly, and impatiently, awaits the next release. Awaken My Love has a paranormal element, but Lynne said that it is the hero, Charles Mortemor, who is memorable. "He is truly what I would call a hero," she told me. "Dark, sensual, and intoxicating. That's one of the few books that I will read over. If an author can put me in the scene, make me believe I’m living the hero or heroine’s life and make me FEEL for the characters, then I think that writer has done a damn good job!"

As a matter of fact, if anyone is interested in writing erotica, Lynne highly recommends they start by reading everything they can find by Robin Schone. "She really knows how to wring out the emotion from the pages of her books," she said. "By the last chapter, I’m captivated by her characters."

Lynne does a lot of her research on the internet, even though she has a few books she's picked up over the years. "I'm always careful that I get the information from reliable sources," she assured me. "And when it comes to the sex scenes, much of that is just plain ol' imagination."

Lynne started off writing contemporary, non-erotic romance as Carol Webb and has two books published under that name. In her critique group, there were two erotic authors and since, at the time, her writing wasn't getting very far, she thought she would give erotic romance a try, just to see if anything would develop. She sent her first endeavor, Burn Baby Burn, to The Wild Rose Press' steamy Wilder Rose line. "Much to my surprise," she told me, "they bought it. From there one I've been writing steamy romance. Ten years ago, if someone had told me I would be writing erotica, I would have laughed in their face. It's just that I never thought my writing career would veer in that direction."

Lynne, under her Carol Webb pseudonym, is currently working on a paranormal suspense series she likes to call her Shrouded series. They are still works in progress, but all three have done well in contests.Shrouded in Darkness won the Ready-Set-Go Pensacola RWA contest and finaled in the Suzannah North Louisiana RWA contest; Shrouded in Mystery took first place in the Emily West Houston Chapter RWA contest and finaled in the First Coast Romance Writers Unpublished Beacon contest; and Shrouded in Illusion placed first in CTRWA's Connection Contest.

"I find them harder," she said, "because the plots are more complicated. I not only have to worry about the romantic development of the story, but I also have to focus on the suspense element. I do enjoy writing erotic novellas and find them fun to write. I think of them as whipped cream—delicious and naughty."

I asked Lynne what her family thought about her writing, and if they read it.

"No. Strangely, no one reads in my family. I even had a used bookstore for a while, and even with all those books, I couldn’t get anyone around me in the family to read. They really don’t know what they’re missing! All those books with amazing characters and stories."

On a more personal note, I asked Lynne, "If you could be anyone you wanted, who would it be?"

"I really can’t say I would want to be anyone else. I love my life. But then again, my dog’s life might be better. Actually either one of my dogs. They’re spoiled rotten. Sleep and eat. You can’t get much better than that."

She's a diet Pepsi drinker at home, but will break down and have a Coke at a restaurant if that's all they have to offer. Her favorite foods include chocolate and raspberries, with chocolate being at the top of the list. But, don't serve her scallops. "Just the idea of swallowing one whole makes me want to gag," she said.

She's heard a lot of rumors about people who can tie a cherry stem with their tongue, but she's never been able to pin a person down.

Her favorite letter is B. "I don't know why," she admitted. "I just love it as an elegant cursive. It might be why I decided on the name of Bella Entertainment for my book trailer business."

She told me that she doesn't think she has any strange habits. "Annoying, now, that might be a different story," she said. "I have to make sure all the lights are out and the electrical cords are pulled in the bathrooms before I leave the house."

To relax when she's not writing, she votes for reading in a bubble bath with a glass of Merlot at her elbow. And, her toenails are always painted. "My daughters would be horrified if they were unpainted," she told me.

If someone were to portray her, Lynne said it would need to be in a sit-com on television instead of in the movies.

"One of my best friends insists that I’m like Julia Louis-Dryefus on The New Adventures of the Old Christine," she said. "I have to admit the character’s life seems to be mirroring my own a little too closely."

Finally, I asked Lynne, "If you could give a new writer one piece of advice, what would it be?"

"I would first ask them one question and that is: Do you REALLY want to be a writer?" she told me. "If their answer is yes, then I would tell them to never give up. I’ve heard of too many stories where an author’s persistence paid off. Sherilyn Kenyon is a wonderful example. Her story is absolutely amazing and is exactly what happens if a person believes in themselves and their writing." You can keep up with Lynne on her website, http://www.lynnelogan.com

No comments: