Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Friday, April 10, 2009

Friday Spotlight: Devyn Quinn


One of the things I am told an author is supposed to have is a website. It is the one thing that drives me batty, as it never seems like I have a very good one at all. On days when I am bored, I will spend the day surfing the net and looking at author websites. Inevitably I end up comparing mine to theirs. And I am usually left wishing mine were better.

Since I am not one of those writers rolling in dough, I do my website myself. I am, for the most part, self taught. When I decided I need a website and wanted to venture onto the world wide web, I got myself a slew of books and began to work on my own site. The first thing I found out is that I have no idea how to match colors. None. Nada. Nil. Must be why I was kicked out of art classes in school. I have zero talent for design. Having zero design talent also means I can't do jack with Photoshop and other graphic software. The few basic things I have pulled off look, to me, like a monkey on crack did the work.

Not good at all.

So with my hopeless lack of talent and a purse that's not overflowing with the dollars, I was delighted to find that magical thing called FREE TEMPLATES. Yes, you read that right. I love free templates and am always trolling the net looking for the latest design I can modify and make my very own. I'm shameless and will take any template that looks decent. I don't care that that template might be used by ten thousand other desperate, talentless souls. What matters is I can plug in my info and make it mine. All mine.

Recently I discovered Wordpress and the endless supply of free templates that other talented people have designed and made available. I am in heaven! They are all free. And what's more, most templates are easy for those not versed in CSS and other programming to modify and use. Even better, there are graphics! Lots of free graphics. No more am I futzing with Photoshop, frustrated because I can not find the right graphic for my header. When I get bored with a look, I simply buzz through the billions of designs and pick me a new one.

That, to me, dear readers, is wonderful! Sometimes the best things in life are, indeed, free. :)

2 comments:

Julie Robinson said...

Hi Devyn,

My problem with free templates is that not all of them work on a MAC, at least not for MySpace. I have been having fun setting that up, and it is sooo easy to get caught up in doing it. I too end up going to author sites (though I'm not published). When the DH asks what I've done as far as writing is concerned, I tell him that I'm studying the "marketing end" of the business right now by looking at websites or fixing MySpace.

I did go to your site just to see and ended up watching your video for Flash and the Devil, which was great. Love the music. Speaking of music, everytime I see the title, "Man After Midnight," the phrase from ABBA's song, "Gimme, gimme, gimme a man after midnight," comes to mind.

Happy Easter,
Julie

Julie Robinson said...

Oops, that would be an E not an A in Flesh. I hit the wrong key!
Julie