Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by the new site and take a look around.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Author Interview: Michelle Cary

Whipped Cream is very excited to welcome Michelle Cary to the inaugural issue of this newest segment of The Long and the Short of It.

Michelle was actually raised in small town Illinois, but now lives in New Jersey with her, as she puts it, “extremely supportive albeit somewhat neglected husband” and their two children. She told me that her husband has only recently read any of her work. “He’s never been a reader,” she said, “and I’ve never pushed the topic, but he did tell me he thought it was very good.” As a matter of fact, he can be credited with the start of her writing career. “I was watching an episode of the ‘Deadliest Catch’ one night and had a story idea,” she told me. “It wouldn’t go away and my husband suggested I write it down. 75k later and I had a novel. It was horrible, but it was the start of everything I do today.”

She told me she had quit her job when her young daughter developed kidney problems. Then, when she was in preschool and the older child was in school, Michelle found she had a lot of extra time on her hands. She decided to try her hand at creating fictional worlds through words and it gave her an entirely new perspective on the world. She’s all about the HEA, and every day gives her new ways to create the perfect happily ever after.

Her fellow author and critique partner Amanda Young got Michelle involved in Samhain’s Midsummer Night’s Steam series, even though Michelle had started writing straight contemporary romance. “Before I knew it,” she said, “I had an erotic romance published.”

Along with her erotic romance, she writes romantic suspense. “It’s challenging,” she told me, “in the fact that I have to make the story suspenseful without giving away the ‘who did it’ too soon.”

She’s trying to hold her uncles off reading any of her work until the romantic suspense gets published. She told me, “[They] enjoy teasing me about [writing erotic romance], but I know they’re all extremely proud of my accomplishments. They want to read my work, but being from the ‘Bible belt’ I feel a little odd about them reading my erotic stuff.”

I asked Michelle what she did when she wasn’t writing. “I’d love to say something really creative here, but honesty prevails,” she said. “Usually, if I’m not writing, or promoting, I’m doing house work. With two kids and a husband to take care of there’s always laundry or dishes or a couple dozen other chores that need to be done around the house.” And, I have it on good authority, she makes a mean chocolate chip cookie. In fact, that’s her favorite food. She admits, though, to not being such a great brownie baker. Actually, she said, “I can’t bake a brownie to save my life.” Her least favorite food? “Sushi,” she told me. “My husband loves it, but I just can’t bring myself to put raw fish in my mouth.”

One of my favorite questions to ask people is if they can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke. Michelle’s response—“ Absolutely. Pepsi is sweet where Coke has that kick you in the ass bite.”

Michelle has one piece of advice for new writers just starting out. “Don’t let your ego get in the way,” she said. “There are lots of great writers out there willing to give good advice to newbies. Don’t be too proud to listen to what they have to say.”

You can read more about Michelle and her works at http://www.michellecary.com

No comments: